We recently posted an article discussing how finding the right real estate agent is like dating, and what the 8 success factors are that ensure you are working with the right person for your needs. In this post, we are going to elaborate a bit more on Success Factor #4 – They Have a Track Record of Success. If you haven’t viewed the previous posts, check out the links below before reading the rest of this article:
When you are working with someone – no matter what it is – you would prefer to work with a person that has experience in what they are doing, correct?
A company wouldn’t hire a Sales Manager with no experience and track record of closing successful deals.
A homeowner wouldn’t hire a plumber to fix a leaky pipe if he didn’t have experience in plumbing.
That’s why review sites exist. To give you peace of mind that you are doing business with a reputable person who is successful in their field.
Which leads us to Success Factor #4: Your agent has a track record of success.
Now, this encompasses a few different things. Just because an agent has $15 million in listing volume, doesn’t mean they are going to be the perfect fit for you.
Every home seller is different and has different motivations. Not every agent out there is going to be the perfect match based on their facts and figures.
AdvantageU Certified Agents are rated based not only on their facts and figures but also on the ratings from past clients. Your AdvantageU regional specialist is then able to match home sellers with the best agents based on these details.
If you are searching for an agent on your own, there are a few questions you can ask to determine their experience.
Questions to ask your agent to determine their track record:
- How Long Have You Been in the Business?
- What Is Your Average List-Price-to-Sales-Price Ratio?
- How do you determine success?
- What are some of the unique value adds you bring to the table?
- Can you send me some references?
- Do you offer any guarantees?
Of course, there are many other questions that will be important to ask your agent – like what their plan for marketing is for your home – but the six questions above are narrowed down to get details on their experience and how confident they are in their abilities. An agent that doesn’t have unique value adds or quality references, is not someone that you want to do business with.
Once your agent can provide you with past client references, it may be difficult to pinpoint the exact questions to ask. Below are a few you can start with but remember to think about your pain points and motivations. This will likely drive the questions and will be more relevant to the information you are looking for.
Questions to ask your agent’s references:
- Did “agent name” return your phone calls/emails in a timely manner? Was he/she available when you needed? Was he/she able to answer the questions you had?
- Do you feel like “agent name” enabled you to make good decisions? Did you ever feel pushed into making a decision that you later questioned?
- How do you feel “agent name” interacted with other professionals involved in the transaction? Did they advocate for you and keep your needs as a top priority?
- Were there any problems during negotiations or closing? Do you feel “agent name” knew how to handle these problems? Were they resolved in a way you felt appropriate?
- Did you feel you had just as much attention from “agent name” after the contract was signed as you did before? Did you feel you could reach them at any time and that he/she would take care of issues for you?
- Is there anything else I should know about “agent name” that we haven’t covered yet?
These are great starting questions but before you default to these, make a list of your motivations and pain points, from there draft questions that will map back to that to ensure you are covering all bases.
This may seem like additional time and effort on your end, but trust us, it is worth it!
Getting a referral from someone is one effective way to land a great agent. If you haven’t had success with that, GET MATCHED with an AdvantageU Certified agent. You can speak to one of our regional specialist who will custom match you with the right agent for your needs. This isn’t an algorithm or a robot picking your match, it’s a real person, who cares about setting you up for success when it comes to selling your home!
Also, be sure to download our Ultimate Home Sellers Checklist to ensure you are following the necessary steps prepare your home for sale.